Thursday, January 29, 2015

Leeks~ it's what's (usually) for dinner

Here's what I dug for dinner yesterday
These grow in between the rows of vines, pushing up through the rocky soil, competing with wild arugula and dandelions for nearly non-existent moisture. They are small with tiny bulbs attached that when tilled or disturbed they multiply abundantly. They are tender and very sweet. I made them into a gratin with potatoes, bits of local prociutto, wild thyme and some Emmentaler cheese. Yup, it smelled and tasted as good as it sounds. Washed down with some local rosé and I was a happy girl.
Leeks are much more common here. As common as onions- or I don't know- potatoes are back home. I love that here everyone loves them as much as I do!

I'm headed back into the vineyards to prune tomorrow. I hope it will be as sunny as yesterday. With all my layers and wool I've stayed warm enough. I think we'll finish the grenache vines and perhaps we'll finish the viognier as well.

this is looking back toward Roquessels from the grenache vineyard.

these little structures are common used for horses or getting out of the elements while working


As I head into this very different looking countryside I'm keeping my eyes peeled for another sighting of the sanglier- wild boar! This is an elusive and rather unattractive creature that resides here. And apparently quite tasty though I'll keep you posted on that. Jen and I saw one driving home one night, it was quite agile for such a big critter and we watched astonished as he leapt up the stonewall and disappeared in the garrigue (a heathland habitat of tall shrubs, including rosemary and thyme).
The spot from which I dug my supper and watched as the sun slowly made its descent.


1 comment:

  1. love the tiny flower photo and the stone shed and your "lap" view
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

thanks for reading!